Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My hands are rough 3 weeks after camping in the desert. How do I get back to normal? Lotion not helping.?

Am I cursed to have the hands of a car mechanic after spending 6 days in the alkaline dust of the Nevada desert? The dust chemically burns your skin, but I thought it would be normal by now.





Two of my fingers are covered in dead, chapped, flaky skin that isn't going away even after sleeping with gobs of fancy lotions on my hands for 3 weeks.





Should I scrub the skin like you do with rough toes, or will that make it worse? Ha! This sounds petty but it's driving me nuts.My hands are rough 3 weeks after camping in the desert. How do I get back to normal? Lotion not helping.?
They have lotions and scrubs for gardener's that would be helpful.


I wouldn't use anything with vaseline in it, because it contains petroleum. It will make it worse(thank you my tattooist). I would do like you are, gob it on, but use a cream with shea butter in it. Leave the gloves on all night, and eventually the new skin will be ready, and the dead dry crap will fall off.


Good luck hon!My hands are rough 3 weeks after camping in the desert. How do I get back to normal? Lotion not helping.?
My suggestion is to put Vaseline all over your hands and then put on either latex gloves or gloves used for washing dishes. Wear this over night.





Also, you should drink plenty of water to re-hydrate from the inside out.
ole remedy: put vaseline and socks on your hands at night. When you wake up in the morning, rinse them thoroughly and apply nivea lotion.
Exfoliate your skin with either a salt scrub, or sugar scrub. This will sluff off the dead skin cells, and the begin to use a strong moisturizer to help heal your hands. You can even use a cream that is for cracked heels. Or vasoline. Put it on after exfoliating and then put the lotion or vasoline on and put some gloves on. Let it sit for a little while before washing off. Repeat a couple of times a day until your skin begins to feel better.
Try a cream or vasiline. If that doesn't work, go to a dermatologist.
I agree with memookie and I would also try some skin softening oil in your tub.....
You may need to see a dermatologist to help you.


BUT, try a non-fancy lotion that is vaseline or similarly-based.


Theer are some scrubs made for hands that might help, too . . . .


And try to limit handwashing as much as you can and still be sanitary!

No comments:

Post a Comment