Saturday, July 24, 2010

Does anyone have an OCD where they constantly put lotion on their hands?

I'm not sure if I have OCD or just OC traits. I am constantly putting lotion on my hands, and I always feel as if they are dry. I have been doing this for at least 10 years, but in the last few years its gotten worse. I get a bit anxious if I don't have lotion with me. If my hands feel dry and I don't have lotion, I clench my fists and don't touch anything. Could I have an OCD? If so, what should I do?Does anyone have an OCD where they constantly put lotion on their hands?
It could be a mild case of OCD. If it has only gotten to you being a ';bit anxious'; after 10 years, really, its not that bad. However, you dont have other peoples problems, and you shouldnt feel that anxious if you dont have lotion with you. It really is a mental game. I dont know the inner workings of it all, but for me and my bf (Yes, we both suffer just a ';bit'; and in my opinion I think the majority of the people do and maybe just dont recognize it) it seriously takes mental strength, and when you find yourself in a situation where you start to clench your fists, you have to really talk to yourself and talk yourself into being ';sane'; for lack of a better word. In other words, you tell yourself it really is ok, or that you will use the lotion when you get home. or force yourself to touch things with dry hands. This has helped us a little, but our cases arent bad. If the problem persists and you cant shake it on your own, i would seek a psychiatrist who specializes in this, and they may be able to recommend medication or alternative ways of recovering, like hypnotherapy. Dont be shy about talking about it either. There are a million people out there like you!Does anyone have an OCD where they constantly put lotion on their hands?
See your doctor if you have any concerns, best thing to do. They can give you advice on strategies to try and overcome this, I have quite severe ocd, everyone has have different things that they will obsess over, just don't let it control your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment